Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Only Dapchi schoolgirl in Boko Haram captivity calls on Nigeria's Buhari to secure her freedom

Sharibu, 15, is the only schoolgirl being held by a faction of Boko Haram after she reportedly refused to renounce her Christian faith.
Most of the students abducted from their boarding school in Dapchi village, Yobe State, February 19, 2018, were released after four weeks with their captors.
'She refused to convert to Islam,' 85 days on, kidnapped schoolgirl Leah Sharibu remains in captivity
"I am Leah Sharibu, the girl that was abducted from Government Girls Science Technical College, Dapchi. I am calling on government and people of goodwill to get me out of this problem," she says in the audio in the native Hausa language.
"I am begging you to treat me with compassion, I am calling on the government, particularly, the president to pity me and get me out of this serious situation."
Her father, Sharibu Nathan told CNN he was happy to have heard her voice and seen photos of her being circulated with the recording.
He had feared the worst about her situation.
"I thought she might have been killed since we were told by those released that Boko Haram kept her because she is a Christian. I can only imagine the way they would have treated her," Nathan said.
Nathan said he is hopeful that the recording obtained by a local journalist will redouble efforts for her to be freed.
"I have been calling the government to save my daughter. It has been seven months since she was taken, I believe they can get her from Boko Haram if they are want to help us," Nathan said.
Into danger's arms: Chaos as schoolgirls flee Boko Haram
Shehu said Buhari will not rest until Sharibu and other girls in the group's captivity are reunited with their parents.
"For President Buhari, nothing will be spared in bringing all our girls home. He will not rest until all of them are freed," Shehu said in a tweet.
Boko Haram has kidnapped more than 1,000 children in Nigeria since 2013.
The group, however, gained global notoriety following the mass kidnapping of more more than 200 girls from a boarding school in Chibok town, Borno State in April 2014.
So far 93 of the Chibok girls were freed in a swap deal between the Nigerian government and the insurgent group.
More than 100 of them remain in captivity with their whereabouts unknown.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

from CNN.com - RSS Channel kalo berita gak lengkap buka link disamping https://ift.tt/2BU25JX

No comments:

Post a Comment